XYWAV dosing can be individualized for adults with Idiopathic Hypersomnia.
When you get your first shipment of XYWAV, be sure to read the Instructions for Use (IFU). You'll also receive the XYWAV and XYREM REMS Patient Quick Start Guide along with your medication and detailed preparation and dosing instructions. Here's what you'll need to know:
- XYWAV is a liquid taken at bedtime. It's most often taken twice nightly (at bedtime and again 2 ½ to 4 hours later). It can also be taken once nightly (just at bedtime).
- Your doctor may adjust your dose at first to find what works best for you. Be open and share with your doctor how you're feeling as your dose changes. Use the Doctor Visit Checklist to track your symptoms.
Jennie, a real XYWAV patient, shares what it's like taking XYWAV.
Can someone with Idiopathic Hypersomnia really follow a
twice-nightly dosing schedule?
Yes! During the period of the clinical study that measured how well XYWAV worked, almost 8 out of 10 people (77%) were following a twice-nightly dosing schedule.
Taking XYWAV at bedtime
- Prepare your dose and put it in a safe and secure place. If you're taking
2 doses,prepare both at the same time.
- Before you take XYWAV, each dose should be mixed with approximately
¼ cupof water in the empty pharmacy containers provided to you.
Take your first dose while in bed and lie down immediately.
- XYWAV can cause sleep very quickly without making you feel drowsy.
- Some people fall asleep within 5 minutes, and most fall asleep within
15 minutes(though the time it takes any individual to fall asleep may vary from night to night).
Taking XYWAV twice nightly? At bedtime and 2 ½ to 4 hours later
If prescribed two nightly doses, you must wake up to take the second dose 2 ½ to 4 hours after your first, as instructed by your doctor.
- You may want to set an alarm clock to make sure you wake up to take the second dose.
If you are prescribed XYWAV twice nightly and miss the second dose, skip it.
- Never take two doses of XYWAV at one time.
- You should remain in bed after taking each dose of XYWAV.
It's important to
- Wait at least 2 hours after eating before taking XYWAV.
- Prepared doses should be taken within 24 hours after mixing.
- Store XYWAV in a safe place, away from children and pets.
- When starting a new treatment, changes can happen little by little. Tracking your progress can help you and your doctor discuss your results a bit more clearly.
XYWAV Medication Guide
Read the Instructions for Use in the Medication Guide for detailed instructions on preparing and taking XYWAV.
Have you been prescribed XYWAV?
Sign up for myWAV—your all-in-one digital tool.
Connect to educational resources and support, when and where you need it! You'll find answers to common questions, personalized encouragement, useful tips, and an app to help you get started and manage your treatment.