XYWAV is the first and only lower-sodium oxybate approved by the FDA to treat cataplexy or excessive daytime sleepiness in people 7 years and older with narcolepsy.
A clinical trial demonstrated the efficacy and safety of XYWAV for the treatment of cataplexy and excessive daytime sleepiness in adult patients with narcolepsy.
XYWAV has the same amount of oxybate as sodium oxybate, with 92% less sodium in each nightly dose.
Because XYWAV contains calcium, magnesium, and potassium, it will taste different than XYREM.
XYWAV contains sucralose.
Your doctor can help determine whether XYWAV is right for you. Talk to your doctor about an appropriate treatment plan.
XYREM contains ~1640 mg of sodium per day at the maximum recommended nightly dose for adults. XYWAV, with 131 mg of sodium per maximum recommended total nightly dose for adults, was developed to provide a lower-sodium oxybate option.
If your doctor prescribes you XYWAV, he or she will give you detailed instructions on how to take your nightly doses. You will also receive additional materials to ensure that you understand how to mix and take your nightly XYWAV doses. Learn more about dosing.
The most common side effects of XYWAV in adults include headache, nausea, dizziness, decreased appetite, parasomnia (a sleep disorder that can include abnormal dreams, abnormal rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, sleep paralysis, sleep talking, sleep terror, sleep-related eating disorder, sleepwalking, and other abnormal sleep-related events), diarrhea, excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis), anxiety, and vomiting. In patients who remained on treatment, side effects tended to occur early and diminish over time.
In children, the most common side effects include nausea, bedwetting, vomiting, headache, weight decrease, decreased appetite, dizziness, and sleepwalking.
These are not all the possible side effects of XYWAV. For more information, ask your doctor or pharmacist. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is committed to making sure that people who are prescribed XYWAV can get it affordably.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals, the leader in sleep medicine, is committed to helping you get therapy support and assistance throughout your treatment journey based on your personal needs every step of the way.
- Nurse and pharmacy support—Your JazzCares® Nurse Case Manager will be with you from the very beginning in your treatment journey, and a pharmacist is available 24/7 to answer questions about your prescription
- Access and affordability—The Certified Pharmacy will assist you with navigating the insurance process and understanding your insurance coverage to help get your treatment started
- Personalized resources—At different points along the way, you will receive relevant tools and resources to help as you start and continue your therapy, including:
- myWAV™, the 24/7 digital tool for personalized support and motivation
- A Starter Kit to help you get started on your path to your first shipment of XYWAV
- A Welcome Kit with everything you need to manage your XYWAV treatment
- Prescription refill reminders
- Tools and resources to help you consider your overall health when managing your narcolepsy
- Information and support resources for caregivers and loved ones
Because of the risk of central nervous system (CNS) depression, abuse, and misuse, XYWAV is available only through a restricted distribution program called the XYWAV and XYREM REMS. You or your child must be enrolled in this program to receive XYWAV.
In addition, the Certified Pharmacy is the only pharmacy in the United States that is permitted to fill your XYWAV prescription and send it directly to you.
Sign up to receive important information about XYWAV treatment and narcolepsy.Sign Up